This Sri Lanka photography workshop is specifically focused on wildlife photography. We’ll spend the majority of our time in Yala National Park, where we’ll have amazing photographic opportunities during our game drives and walking safaris. Expect to encounter leopards, plenty of elephants, several deer species, monkeys and crocodiles. The park is also bird photography heaven, with hundreds of exotic species. We’ll make sure to spend plenty of time at each sighting, giving you the opportunity to take the best possible pictures.
Both Yala National Park and our drive there present some great landscape photography opportunities as well, and we’ll make sure to explore these fully. In addition, a visit to Sri Lanka would not be complete without us learning about the country’s welcoming local culture. We’ll visit several local communities, where we can meet Sri Lankans, learn about local customs, and photograph this colourful culture.
Lucia Griggi will be tutoring you throughout this photo tour, helping you become the best photographer you can be. Lucia will provide both theoretical photography sessions, teaching all the basic technical skills, and practical support during all game drives and expeditions. There will also be plenty of time for reviewing everyone’s work, and working on post-production. Since there is enough time for one-on-one instruction, the workshop is suitable for photographers of all levels; whether you’re a beginner or a pro, you’ll have the opportunity to gain valuable new skills.
The workshops will cover the following:
- Composition and working with different backgrounds
- Exposure and lighting
- Post-production, including how to get most out of RAW images
- Impact and storytelling through photography
- Extreme location shooting
- Storing, manipulating, and preserving digital images
- Marketing and selling images
We recommend that you bring the following:
- Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera & lenses (ideally including a telephoto lens)
- A laptop with photo software installed (Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, Bridge or camera raw software)
- Storage media and other equipment – cord, thumb drive, card reader – for transferring images from camera to computer
- External hard drive to store and back up images daily
- Tripods and accessories for assisting shooting
- Batteries and charger for rechargeable batteries
- Power adapters and cables for laptop and digital camera
It is suggested that you know how to download images from your camera to the laptop, know basic editing techniques using your software, and are able to organise the edited images for workshop environment.